SCHS Header
Link to Homepage
Link to About Us page
Link to Staff & Board page
Link to Ross Center page
Link to Exhibits page
Link to Events Calendar page
Link to Archives page
Link to Online Store
Link to Membership page
Link to Volunteer page
Link to Contact Us page
Historical photo show 100 years ago header


100 Years Ago


Agriculture
Black History
Canal
Civil War
Downtown
Education
Entertainment
Events
Gold Rush
Immigration
Indians
Industry
Landmarks
Law and Order
Organizations
People
Pioneers
Politics
Sports
Transportation
War
Women

General Harmar Follows Indian Trail

harmerstrail.gif (76431 bytes)

The first ‘roads’ were actually trails made by the Indians which they used to move from one village to another. According to Mr. Leonard Hill, two primary trails crossed Shelby County, Ohio. One known as the "Miami Trail" came up from the south through Miami County on the east side of the Great Miami River as far as Piqua. From that point, it followed the west side until it reached the well-known Indian village site near the mouth of Loramie’s Creek where it turned northwest in a direct line to the site of Loramie’s Trading Post and Fort Loramie built by General Wayne in 1795. After going north for a few more miles it divided; the western division going to the Indian village where Ft. Wayne is now located, the eastern portion crossing over to and following the Auglaize River to the Maumee River and on north to Detroit. General Harmar followed that trail all the way across Shelby County. A portion of Harmar’s Route through Miami County is marked above on Mr. Hill’s hand-drawn map which he produced in 1948.

In 1949, the Shelby County Historical Society erected a marker commemorating both the location of the county’s first settler and General Harmar’s Military Trail of 1790. Everyone is encouraged to pay a visit to the spot. The best time to go is in the fall after the crops have been harvested, it is easy to imagine what life must have been like in the early days. The marker is located eight miles west of Sidney, on Hardin-Houston Road, along Loramie Creek, just west of the Bunker Hill Church. To reach, take State Route 47 west out of Sidney to Hardin. At Hardin-Wapak Road, take a left. Follow this to Hardin-Houston Road and take a right. The Wilson Home (first brick home in Shelby County) is the first monument on the left, (approximately one mile west); the Harmar/Thatcher marker is nearly two miles further, on the right (north-side), of Hardin Rd, surrounded by a black fence.

harmertrailmarker.gif (70111 bytes)

'Indian' segment written in December, 1997 by David Lodge

 

[ Back to Indians Index ]

 

Article Footer
SCHS footer Link to Home page Link to About Us Information Link to the Ross Center Information Link to our Events Calendar Information Link to our Archives Information Link to our Online Store / Products Information Link to our Membership Information Link to our Volunteering Information Link to our Contact Information Link to Staff & Board Information Link to our Current & Upcoming Exhibits Information Link to our Donation Information