to 1782/Peter Loramie
The only settlement in Shelby County,
Ohio, after Pickawillany was a trading post established
in 1769 by Peter Loramie. Located approximately one-half mile north of the present town of
Ft. Loramie, on State Route 66, the Ft. Loramie Business Mens Association/American
Legion have installed a marker near the site that can still be seen today.
Some historians believe that Peter Loramie
had ventured down the Indian trail on the Maumee
and St. Marys Rivers, then crossed a six-mile portage to reach Loramie Creek while
local writer Allan Eckerts research indicates that he came from the Ohio and Miami
French traders normally preferred the
canoe to foot or horse and were able to reach nearly all the Indian towns which usually
lay upon streams. The waterways back then were wider, deeper and navigable by canoe and
flatboat almost to the source. Streams carried much more water before the forests were cut
away and the land improved by farming.
Loramie Creek, at Ft. Loramie, is today, a
small stream, but years ago it was navigable from the south to a point far past the
community. Thus, rather than struggle through dense forests, early man traveled on rivers
which served as roadways during the late 1700s and early 1800s. Loramie was a great friend of the Indians
(he dealt primarily with the Shawanees) and operated his store to help them.
He was highly respected by the Indians and considered a great leader. Loramie supported
them in their struggle against the white man, supplying them with guns and ammunition.