SCHS Header
Link to Homepage
Link to About Us page
Link to Staff & Board page
Link to Ross Center page
Link to Exhibits page
Link to Events Calendar page
Link to Archives page
Link to Online Store
Link to Membership page
Link to Volunteer page
Link to Contact Us page

Other SCHS Products

> Become A Member

Plaques

Welcome to the Shelby County Historical Society's plaque collection!  Here you can find the Society's  popular wooden miniature buildings featuring the community's historical landmarks.  The Society's Heritage Collectible Series are wooden plaques hand-crafted by the people at Shepherd's Heart Foundation, a non-profit group employing the handicapped. Due to the fact that Shepherd's Heart has gone out of business, our supply is limited. We will not be able to order any more once these are gone.


Big Four Bridge | Bonnyconnellan Castle | Bridgeview School | Children's Home
Courthouse/Shelby County | Fairlawn High School | Monumental Building
Monarch Machine Tool | Peoples Federal S&L Assoc. | Purity | Ross Historical Center
Sidney High School | Sidney Tanning Company |Spot Restaurant | Wagner Hotel | Whitby Place


Big Four Bridge
Produced by the Shelby County Historical Society in 1997

Big 4 Bridge Plaque The imposing structure of the Big Four Bridge spans the Great Miami River and County Road 25-A. Its history dates back to the early 1920’s when officials of the Big Four Railway (Cleveland, Cincinnati, Chicago and St. Louis) saw a need to relocate the line through Sidney. Construction of the Big Four Bridge was the major part of the project, and began in early October, 1922. The general contractor was Walsh Construction Company of Davenport, Iowa. Approximately 250 employees were used to build the 785 feet long, 105 feet high bridge. There are five arches, three of which are 140 feet wide, and two are 100 feet wide. The first batch of concrete was poured on December 23, 1922 and was completed on November 11, 1923. There was a total of 900,000 pounds of steel used with 28,000 cubic yards of concrete.
Non-Members:   $25 + $4.50 postage and handling
Members:  $16 + $4.50 postage and handling
Members / Non-Members

Bonnyconnellan Castle
Produced by the Shelby County Historical Society in 1997

bonnyconnellan.jpg (105436 bytes)

Non-Members:   $25 + $4.50 postage and handling
Members:  $16 + $4.50 postage and handling

John Loughlin, founder of the Sidney School Furniture Company and the Mary L. Poultry Company, came to Sidney in 1880. He purchased land for a new home on November 17, 1884, for $5,000. Local historians believe that the Bonnyconnellan was patterned after a castle by the same name, located in Cork, Ireland.   The home was constructed in 1885 and finished by 1886.

Members / Non-Members

Bridgeview (Old High School)
Produced by the Shelby County Historical Society in 1997

oldshs.jpg (110824 bytes)
After purchasing land from the Presbyterian Church and paying for the disinterring of bodies from the old Presbyterian graveyard to Graceland Cemetery, construction was commenced on a new high school. Completed at a cost of $100,000, the building was ready for students by September, 1913. In 1960, the new Sidney High School on Campbell Road opened its doors and Bridgeview is now known as the Bridgeview Middle School. It houses more than 600 seventh and eighth grade students.
 
Non-Members:   $25 + $4.50 postage and handling
Members:  $16 + $4.50 postage and handling
Members / Non-Members


Children's Home
Produced by the Shelby County Historical Society in 1995

childrenshome.jpg (94538 bytes)

Non-Members:   $25 + $4.50 postage and handling
Members:  $16 + $4.50 postage and handling


In June 1893, a county board of visitors recommended that Shelby County needed a home — and its construction should be a top priority. The 142-acre Duncan farm was purchased and a road built to the out-of-town location. The total cost of the land and buildings amounted to $30,000. The cornerstone was laid on May 31, 1895, and after two years of construction, the first group of children took up residence. Thirty-five youngsters arrived at the home by train from Logan County on October 15 — starting a 79 year legacy in which over 820 children would pass through its doors.





Members / Non-Members
SCHS footer
Link to Home page Link to About Us Information Link to the Ross Center Information Link to our Events Calendar Information Link to our Archives Information Link to our Online Store / Products Information Link to our Membership Information Link to our Volunteering Information Link to our Contact Information Link to Staff & Board Information Link to our Current & Upcoming Exhibits Information Link to our Donation Information