From 1801 until 1808, there were several county boundary changes in
Ohio. Shelby County began as part of Hamilton, then Montgomery and finally Miami County.
Shelby County separated from Miami County in 1819 and had some modification of its
boundaries up until 1883. To reduce confusion, the Shelby County area is referred to by
its current name throughout this web site.
Limited information about Shelby
Countys early years is known since its first newspaper, "The Western
Herald" was not published until 1831. And, like other small town newspapers, not much
space was devoted to local information. Normally, the editor received a subscription to a
larger or eastern city paper, then copied these items for publication in the local
newspaper which was published weekly. The first daily
paper in Shelby County was published in 1883.
Official records, such as
those for marriage, estate, land transactions, taxes, etc., were compiled beginning in
1818. In the years preceding the War of 1812, there were
less than 50 families in the Shelby County area.
'Pioneer' segment written in
October, 1997 by Sherrie Casad-Lodge
[ Back to Pioneer Index ]