SCHS Header
Link to Homepage
Link to About Us page
Link to Staff & Board page
Link to Ross Center page
Link to Exhibits page
Link to Events Calendar page
Link to Archives page
Link to Online Store
Link to Membership page
Link to Volunteer page
Link to Contact Us page
Historical photo show 100 years ago header


100 Years Ago


Agriculture
Black History
Canal
Civil War
Downtown
Education
Entertainment
Events
Gold Rush
Immigration
Indians
Industry
Landmarks
Law and Order
Organizations
People
Pioneers
Politics
Sports
Transportation
War
Women

Thatcher
Nationality Unknown

In 1805, Shelby County Ohio’s very first settler traveled north from Kentucky along the Great Miami River to its junction with Loramie Creek. James Thatcher and his family followed the Creek for about three and a half miles northwest and then camped about 100 yards west of the creek. In this corner of what is now Washington Township, they set up what was probably a ‘lean-to’ and became the first homestead in Shelby County.

While his exact activities are unknown, Thatcher did not stay too long in this area covered by dense trees. It appeared as if they were alone for about a year until another family arrived in 1806, settling near what is now Lockington.  Thatcher and his family lived in Turtle Creek Township (north of Hardin) around 1818. Thatcher was not very active in county affairs, helping only to build a few public roads.

In 1949, the Shelby County Historical Society erected a monument which marks the location of James Thatcher’s settlement. Everyone is encouraged to pay a visit to the spot where Shelby County got its start.  Today, the area is still unspoiled, consisting mostly of isolated farms and forests located along Loramie Creek. The best time to visit is either in the fall after the crops have been harvested; or in the spring before they have been planted; here it is easy to imagine what life must have been like in the 1800s for the earliest settlers.

'Pioneer' segment written in October, 1997 by Sherrie Casad-Lodge

 

[ Back to Pioneer Index ]

 

generalharmermonument.gif (29933 bytes)

The Thatcher location is eight miles west of Sidney, on Hardin-Houston Road, along Loramie Creek, just west of the Bunker Hill Church. To reach, take State Route 47 west out of Sidney to Hardin. At Hardin-Wapak Road, take a left. Follow this to Hardin-Houston Road. Take a right on Hardin-Houston Road. The Wilson Home (first brick house in Shelby County) is the first monument on the left, approximately one mile west on Hardin-Houston Road. The Thatcher monument is nearly two miles further, on the right side of the road.

 

Article Footer
SCHS footer Link to Home page Link to About Us Information Link to the Ross Center Information Link to our Events Calendar Information Link to our Archives Information Link to our Online Store / Products Information Link to our Membership Information Link to our Volunteering Information Link to our Contact Information Link to Staff & Board Information Link to our Current & Upcoming Exhibits Information Link to our Donation Information Link to Home page Link to About Us Information Link to the Ross Center Information Link to our Events Calendar Information Link to our Archives Information Link to our Online Store / Products Information Link to our Membership Information Link to our Volunteering Information Link to our Contact Information Link to Staff & Board Information Link to our Current & Upcoming Exhibits Information Link to our Donation Information
Link to Home page Link to About Us Information Link to the Ross Center Information Link to our Events Calendar Information Link to our Archives Information Link to our Online Store / Products Information Link to our Membership Information Link to our Volunteering Information Link to our Contact Information Link to Staff & Board Information Link to our Current & Upcoming Exhibits Information Link to our Donation Information