SCHS Header
Link to Homepage
Link to About Us page
Link to Staff & Board page
Link to Ross Center page
Link to Exhibits page
Link to Events Calendar page
Link to Archives page
Link to Online Store
Link to Membership page
Link to Volunteer page
Link to Contact Us page
Historical photo show 100 years ago header


100 Years Ago


Agriculture
Black History
Canal
Civil War
Downtown
Education
Entertainment
Events
Gold Rush
Immigration
Indians
Industry
Landmarks
Law and Order
Organizations
People
Pioneers
Politics
Sports
Transportation
War
Women

Board of Improvement

The members of the Board of Improvement, although all prominent citizens, represented varied segments of Sidney’s population. Colonel Harrison Wilson, an attorney, was described as ranking among the top lawyers in the state, serving as a circuit court judge from 1895 to 1909. Frank Hunter was the clerk of courts and president of the Progressive Union. He was appointed postmaster in 1894. W.H.C. Goode owned the American Steel Scraper Company. An educated man, he had extensive land holdings. George Bunnell was active in real estate and was a noted Sidney ‘booster’. C.F. Hickok owned a confectionery firm, and also served four years on city council. Charles Timeus was serving as county treasurer and director of Graceland Cemetery at the time of his appointment to the Board.

From "Town Promotion and the Rural Mystique: Sidney, Ohio, A Case Study" by Connie M. Porcher, August, 1981.

Industry segment written in January, 1998 by Rich Wallace

 

[ Back to Industry Index ]

Article Footer
SCHS footer Link to Home page Link to About Us Information Link to the Ross Center Information Link to our Events Calendar Information Link to our Archives Information Link to our Online Store / Products Information Link to our Membership Information Link to our Volunteering Information Link to our Contact Information Link to Staff & Board Information Link to our Current & Upcoming Exhibits Information Link to our Donation Information