SCHS Header
Link to Homepage
Link to About Us page
Link to Staff & Board page
Link to Ross Center page
Link to Exhibits page
Link to Events Calendar page
Link to Archives page
Link to Online Store
Link to Membership page
Link to Volunteer page
Link to Contact Us page
Historical photo show 100 years ago header


100 Years Ago


Agriculture
Black History
Canal
Civil War
Downtown
Education
Entertainment
Events
Gold Rush
Immigration
Indians
Industry
Landmarks
Law and Order
Organizations
People
Pioneers
Politics
Sports
Transportation
War
Women

Fort Jefferson

"St. Clair had selected a site on a rather low, rounded gravel knoll, about five miles south of modern-day Greenville, Ohio, for the location of his new fort of deposit. Although he said that the site was ‘proper enough’ for a post, his men thought the location too accessible to the enemy. It was surrounded by small knolls and was susceptible to have the supply of water cut off because the fresh spring that issued nearby was about 100 feet distant."

General St. Clair’s men built Fort Jefferson in October, 1791, unaware that within a month it would be their refuge from a massive Indian army. Moving north to the area of present day Ft. Recovery, St. Clair’s army met a disastrous defeat against a superior Indian force. A gallant attack on the Indian lines caused a breach that allowed the survivors to retreat the more than 30 miles back to the safety of Fort Jefferson. Named for Thomas Jefferson, then Secretary of State, the fort served as a supply base, and was abandoned in 1796.

fortjeffersondraw.gif (20022 bytes)
fortjeffersonsign.gif (50949 bytes)

Located 4 miles south of present day Greenville on State Route 121, the Ft. Jefferson park and monument marks the site of the outpost. The monument is made of granite boulders, six feet square and twenty feet tall. The area is maintained as a roadside park with a picnic shelter and grills. No part of the fort remains but informational markers indicate where significant parts of the fort once stood.

'Indian' segment written in December, 1997 by David Lodge

 

[ Back to Indians Index ]

Article Footer
SCHS footer Link to Home page Link to About Us Information Link to the Ross Center Information Link to our Events Calendar Information Link to our Archives Information Link to our Online Store / Products Information Link to our Membership Information Link to our Volunteering Information Link to our Contact Information Link to Staff & Board Information Link to our Current & Upcoming Exhibits Information Link to our Donation Information Link to Home page Link to About Us Information Link to the Ross Center Information Link to our Events Calendar Information Link to our Archives Information Link to our Online Store / Products Information Link to our Membership Information Link to our Volunteering Information Link to our Contact Information Link to Staff & Board Information Link to our Current & Upcoming Exhibits Information Link to our Donation Information
Link to Home page Link to About Us Information Link to the Ross Center Information Link to our Events Calendar Information Link to our Archives Information Link to our Online Store / Products Information Link to our Membership Information Link to our Volunteering Information Link to our Contact Information Link to Staff & Board Information Link to our Current & Upcoming Exhibits Information Link to our Donation Information